Friday, November 7, 2008

Small Victories

One of which was getting to Friday! :-D

I was working on one of my Christmas items and I knit a knot (I know...). Then I decided to tink it back and cut it out, but when I came to that stitch it got all screwed up. I'm so far along that my heart fell to think of ripping, since usually I can't fix things very well. But I tinked slowly back a row and a half, and -- it worked!

Whew.

I hit Trader Joe's on the way home. They have sacks of individually wrapped chicken breasts now. I bought a bag and put it in the freezer. I was musing on it in line -- are we really so much busier nowadays, that such things are needed? Do I, a single urban woman, have less time than an old-fashioned farm housewife with a passel of children? Probably not, although some of her time would have been apportioned strictly to the feeding of said passel. But it is harder, in a way, to feed just one person well. Not more expensive, of course, but more difficult to make sure things don't go bad, to find recipes that either feed just one or will work for leftovers, and to get the impetus to mess up a bunch of pots and pans just for me! (Nor do I have any live-in sous chefs or dishwashers.)

Hence, individually wrapped chicken breasts.

The erstwhile friend to whom I emailed the apology has not said a word nor acted any differently when our paths have crossed -- I am still completely invisible. This person is not one I would have ever pegged for a drama queen, for someone who would carry a grudge, or anything like that. And to act this way and not even tell me what I've done... it's really amazing to me. I know people are like that; I just really didn't think they were -- they've always seemed calm and sensible and reasonable. I have to admit I'm deeply hurt and saddened by it, but I've tried, and there's obviously nothing I can do.

I hate this sort of thing.

Alas.

So, anyway -- I turned the heat on for the first time on Wednesday morning, and I might have to turn it on a bit tonight. But first, I'm going to try socks and a shawl. I hate paying PG&E! I should go wrap up and get back to the knitting. This weekend I want to try to rearrange my kitchen cupboards, knit like a mad thing, maybe make some jam, and make another batch of challah. Mmm. Bread....