Monday, November 3, 2008

Waiting for It to Be Over

I cannot wait until this election is over. It looks good, but... argh! I will crash into such despair tomorrow night if it all goes pear-shaped. I'm glad I'm on the West Coast so by the time I leave work at 4:30, we'll already have some idea of things.

Talked to a relative whose husband is a (vocal) Republican. Well, he's vocal about everything, so this is not a surprise. While I have friends who are Republican and I've even dated a couple, they're not of the passionate/in your face/shouting at the TV persuasion, and I cannot imagine being married to someone who was. Nor can I imagine why someone who was would want to be married to a Democrat... if nothing else, my ex-husband and I voted alike. Well, except for the time that he voted for this sad outsider for mayor, because he didn't want the guy's family to be the only people who voted for him. That was sweet. He was a bit more on the conservative Democrat side when we met, but by the time we split up we were on the same political wavelength (at least I did this service for the country!). I can't imagine the tension of living with someone who was not only at the other end of the political spectrum, but wild about it. She said they don't ever talk politics in their house, which seems... I don't know. Hiding your true feelings at work or someplace like that is one thing, but in your own home? It would be hard for me.

In any case, I'm a bit of a nervous wreck and just can't wait til we know, one way or the other.

I've been knitting like crazy (for me) but feel like I'll never finish in time for Christmas. Man, I wish I knit faster! Those folks who, three weeks before Rhinebeck, say, "Hmm, think I'll knit myself a cardigan to wear there," are beyond my comprehension. To me, that's akin to saying, "I think I will build a house from the cellar up with only my hands and a hammer and finish before Thanksgiving."

The friend to whom I sent the exploratory email/apology has not acknowledged it in any way. I do check my email more frequently than most people I know, and I also said in the email that I didn't expect a response. I may never know if the email got read; I may never know what I (completely inadvertantly) did. Alas.

Going to retire to the bath, have some hot vanilla milk and then ensconce myself in bed with said knitting. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

No comments: