Sunday, August 9, 2009

Stop me, damnit

I've been reading blogs and seeing some pictures from Sock Summit, and some folks' cute short haircuts are calling to me.

I know my hair itself looks cute short -- it's curly and does these neat marcel waves across the back of my head. Also, it dries much faster than my current to-the-base-of-my-shoulder-blades mop of auburn wildness.

But I am a big person, and on me, a head with a short cap of curls looks like a cherry on top of a mountain of ice cream. (Food metaphor. How apropos.) Also, I like twisting my hair up into a semi-French twist and feeling all of it anchored, firmly -- unlike when short curls are just bobbing about. And there's the versatility of wearing it up, tumbling down my back or else in a ponytail.

I have to remind myself I don't look like a chic perky pixie with short hair, because the cuteness is getting to me -- as is the "hmm, no heavy hot hair" -- even though I know if I cut if off I'd regret it, especially since I hate going and getting my hair cut. I always look like crap in the mirrors, I have to chat, and I have to pay them! The only part I really like is getting the back of my neck shaved; that feels good.

I don't want to look like an aging hippie with long hair, but since it's thick, curly, and has no grey, and since I always wear makeup, that's probably an unfounded fear. (Aging hippies are fine people. I just don't fancy the look.)

No comments: