Saturday, January 10, 2009

That Sound You Hear

Is my head exploding from the Continental purling.

I was twisting the stitches. After several hours and practically making a cat's-cradle of my yarn, I have discovered that I have to

a) wrap the yarn not only over my pinky but also over my middle finger, so that it stays taut over my left index finger

b) dip my index finger way down past the left needle in order to scoop the yarn with the right needle

c) use my left thumb to help this new stitch along.

It is ever so slow. I can see where perhaps with much practice, it might be faster than my English purling, but... right now it's going to take me easily six days to make a two-day cowl. And I can't imagine knitting or purling Continental on dpns, which I prefer to circulars for many things.

Oh well. Knowing how to do both will come in handy, and I do like to shift the burdens from one hand to another, which is why I mouse and 10-key left-handed at work.

It's also interesting because I'm generally a loose knitter (shut up), but these stitches are very tight. I imagine they will loosen up when I'm not so intent on getting it right!

No comments: