Thursday, October 2, 2008

Desperate for the Weekend

As usual, can't say anything about work, except that Friday night cannot come soon enough. Actually, retirement can't come soon enough. Well, other than the fact that the economy is tanking and for that reason I'm glad I'm 25 years away from it...

One thing I will say I am grateful for, as opposed to the life of my math-and-science-guy friends. One of them texted me at one o'clock this morning; he was going to be up all night coding. He texted me at 6 PM and told me he was just leaving work; had had a 13-hour day. That never happens to me. It's mostly because I'm hourly and literally punch a time clock (no, really, seriously) -- but I walk out the door two minutes after my day ends, always.

I've been knitting furiously on some Christmas gifts; I know it's only October but I'm a slow, slow knitter. And a big-time frogger. So far, so good, though. I'm also going to start the Koigu socks tomorrow; I have a family BBQ to go to Sunday and I want to have non-gift knitting to bring along.

My first birding class was last night. I was a bit awkward when we had to do introductions (I hate the going-round-the-room-introducing-yourself-and-explaining-why-you're-there thing, and I was third so had little time to think), and later I answered a question I think the instructor was hoping someone else might answer, and afterwards in a group discussion with her about binoculars, I kind of blurted out that I close one eye while using them and I think I should have waited for a longer pause in the conversation before saying anything, but it was apropos to the discussion at hand, so... I left feeling very awkward and unhappy, but I will go on this weekend's field trip and see how it goes. At least I think I will.

Although from the general binocular discussion, it seems my $100-ish Bushnells are utter crap -- and even all these very beginning birders have better ones. I tend to maybe agree with them since I do have a hard time with these binoculars, but I thought it was either because of my glasses or my lazy eye. Maybe not. However, they are what I have for at least the next couple of years... and if I bail on this class, who knows if I will ever get good enough to need better ones?

I finally decided ten days or so ago to sign up for a Ravelry invitation; I don't know why it had never occurred to me before. So since last weekend I've been playing around on there. It is pretty damned amazing.

Going to go soak in a tub. I'm worried that with the incipient drought, my long-bath days may be over for quite some time soon. But after my day today (thankfully not 13 hours) I need some bubbles and hot water! Then another hour or so of knitting. The last time I was on a knitting schedule was two years ago when I knit a cabled scarf for a quasi-boyfriend. He liked it and wore it, at least, even if our relationship was doomed. (And I don't think it's because I knit for him!)

No comments: