Saturday, February 21, 2009

Catching More Flies with Honey

I decided that rather than openly being the crabby anti-modern-music crank that I am secretly, I would try a more positive tack. A couple of weeks ago the Vigil Mass musician used one of the few Haugen/Hass/Schutte songs I like (it's a Haas). He played it beautifully, too. So I sent him a note and said that while I do come to Mass hoping that we won't have the Haugen/Haas/Schutte triumvirate (I described myself as a "big fan of more traditional music") I did like "You Are Mine" and his playing of it reminded me of why I wished I could play the piano.

It was true, and I also figured that maybe if I phrased it that way, he'd throw me a bone at some future Mass.

And he totally did!! Tonight we had organ for both the processional and the recessional and only one modern piece in the middle!!

Unfortunately, he's lost his day job and may move away and quit. Sigh.

And I was too shy to introduce myself after Mass to compliment him on tonight's music. I think I have only ever introduced myself out of the blue to maybe four people in my entire life. I did email Norah to tell her. Actually I was a reader and as we were going in and the organ started, and I was still in the vestibule, I pumped my arm (down low) and said, "YES!" so I think they gathered my reaction.

No comments: