Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lent is Coming

I think I might break out the Lenten Thomas Merton journal I bought a few years ago. I took it to Hawaii on my ill-fated trip and have had a hard time opening it since. But Lent is penitential, no?

And besides, of course, meat on Fridays, I'm giving up bread for Lent. This will be the hardest thing. Not pasta, but breads, rolls, crackers, tortillas. We'll see how that goes. Will I make it to the Triduum with my mind mostly intact?!

I also just made a monthly commitment to Food for the Poor -- not as much as I should, but more than I was. I'm going to keep doing it after Lent, as long as I'm employed (!). I was thinking about how I'm too shy to go out and help the impoverished (or anyone) personally, but setting up EFT shouldn't be that hard. I felt ashamed of myself and my cashmere-yarn first-world ways. So.

No comments: