Sunday, February 1, 2009

Long Week....end??

It's funny that I'm almost glad the weekend is over!

Yesterday at Mass I was a lector; I thought I had the second reading, but I had the first, and had to sight-read. Then I went to dinner at the home of two of my very conservative anti-abortion friends. We are friends, but not uber-close, and they don't realize I am neither of those things, especially not ever the former. There was some uncomfortable political discussion, during which I was quiet. I feel a little cowardly, inasmuch as they're very comfortable being open about their deep conservatism even in a liberal area, whereas I won't even say, "Actually, I'm a Democrat." But I am much more laissez-faire toward others' political bents than I think they are, and it's easier not to make a tense situation for me a tense situation for everybody.

Today I had pizza with a friend I haven't seen in quite awhile. He doesn't drive and I find that stressful sometimes -- I feel obligated to offer a ride, and yet I must admit to a subtle resentment at that. We live in an area where almost everyone drives and public transportation ain't great. I think I was soured by a woman I worked with who didn't drive, regularly bummed rides back to our neighborhood, and then once proudly proclaimed, "I've never needed to drive!" My thought was, "Then you don't need a ride from me, right?" Which of course I didn't say.

I don't mind if someone is physically unable to drive or absolutely unable to afford a car (neither was the case of my coworker). The latter is the case of the friend today, so that was OK, but I still feel awkward about it, a little. (Sometimes it's bad when I've reached my socialbility limit but still have to drive someone home. Not the case here.) Overall, though, lunch was nice and who doesn't like pizza? (If you don't, I don't want to know.)

I made some sugared lemons when I got home, to slip into tea. You take lemons and pour boiling water over, then slice very thin. Layer each slice with sugar in a jam jar and stick in the fridge. In short order you will have sugary lemons and lemon-flavored simple syrup in the jar. I will try some tomorrow.

The Scarf of Obligation: 2/3 done!

No comments: