Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ah, Labor Day

Originally published September 1, 2008

One of those few-and-far-between days off. Hallelujah. The next one is, what, Thanksgiving?

I was going to make a fruit tart and take it to work on Tuesday, but I'm not feeling it. I don't think the fruits I'd want to use are going to be available (or very good) this time of year, and I don't really feel like the three-step process involved, and wondering how well it would keep overnight in the fridge. The only other one I've ever made was good, but was also assembled immediately before it was taken to a party. Also, not feeling very cheery about work as a whole and not so sure I want to knock myself out. I think I will just take some of the peach jam I made yesterday to a couple of friends on Tuesday and call it a day.

Or I might make this plum cake, which link I followed from her mother's blog. It looks yummy and far less fiddly.

Soon I'll make some spiced blueberry jam, which has the added appeal of being made from frozen berries. That will either be later today or next weekend. I'm supposed to be supplying my brother-in-law's jam needs for the fall and winter. I wonder how much jam one man can eat. We shall see; he's got about 12 pints now. I'd like to have a little left over. Although if I go through Mes Confitures, I can find things to make between now and spring, with a little tweaking.

I'm glad fall is coming. I'm a transitional-season kind of girl; spring is my favorite and fall is next. I think it partially has to do with being on an academic cycle in one's formative years. My heart still leaps in spring -- "Summer's coming! There's hope and freedom on the way!", even though I graduated from college eighteen years ago. (Good Lord.) And since I actually liked school (and miss it terribly), I was always excited to go back, especially in college, so the advent of fall also makes me happy for no current reason.

I've been thinking about life coaches. I wish I could afford one. I really do need an advisor, but Real Life (TM) doesn't provide them the way schools do. Even a therapist, which I also don't have, isn't there necessarily to give you step-by-step advice.

I've also been thinking about money. I believe that with enough of that, I wouldn't really need the life coach. I'd move to a pretty apartment not built in my lifetime and in which I never lived with my ex-husband. I'd try to make sure it had a gas stove and if it had a full-sized fridge and good water pressure, I'd be set. I'd quit the job I have now, get a happy part-time one, and go back to school. So it looks like I know what I want to do; I need to find the financial wherewithal to do it. Guess I still need some kind of advisor, no?

Ah well. For now, it's after midnight, and I'm going to curl up with a purring cat and sleep. When in doubt, grab a cat and snooze, that's what I always say.

No comments: