Saturday, September 6, 2008

Because I'm Forgetful


I have been known to have garlic with lovely green shoots, and onions that are trying to root in the cupboard, because I forget they're there.

My recent solution was to bring out this cute bowl out from the china cabinet, put the garlic, onions, and shallots in it and leave it on the counter. (I shoved everything to the side so the milk-drinking kitty would be visible.)

So far, so good.

Tonight for dinner I made this zucchini recipe. (Which features none of the bowl occupants, I realize.) I Microplaned the cheese because I don't have a cheese slicer that will make good shavings, but otherwise followed the instructions. Yum.

Somewhere, my mom is shaking her head and saying, "She's making... zucchini ... for dinner? Just zucchini?" My poor veggie-loving mom was stuck with me, who loved (and loves) chicken, cheese, and bread, and my dad, who loved beef and potatoes and the like. Two of the traits my dad and I had in common were not liking vegetables and liking our meat well done, both of which pained her. Now I don't eat beef at all (doesn't agree with me) and I actually like quite a few vegetables. I will say that if I'm going to eat veggies plain, I generally prefer them raw (if they're edible that way at all). Cooked, I like some butter or cheese or at least salt and pepper.

I need to straighten up round here, change the sheets (although I will have to dislodge one sleeping kitty to strip the bed and then fight the other, "helping," one in order to remake it), hang up clothes, and such. It's been quite hot (for us) today and I made two batches of kiwi jam in the heat of the day. (Yeah, I know.) I'm waiting for it to cool down and for me to get my second wind in order to get to the housework.

Yep, that's my Saturday night!

No comments: