Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hungry

Things have not been going so well, healthful-eating-wise. It's not because some boy has thrown me off my game, or because work is depressing me, or I'm otherwised stressed or unhappy.

It's because I'm hungry.

Yes, I do eat for entertainment sometimes and I tend to love things that are not low-cal/carb -- cheese (!!), chocolate, bread. But besides that, I simply have a large appetite. I can do the European-style, reasonable-amount-of-food eating for a time, and then my hunger comes roaring back. And during the work day, this is very difficult. As may have become apparent, I am not cut out for sitting in a cube all day, but I do. When sitting in said cube, if ravenous hunger overwhelms me, I am screwed. I get headachy, my stomach growls and aches emptily, and all I can think about is food.

Because I'm at work, I can't distract myself with something pleasant. I do bring things to snack on, but a Tupperware of carrots and radishes chased by a piece of fruit, while good, are mere drops in the ocean of my hunger. I would need a pound of vegetables and four or five pieces of fruit to satisfy me.

Sigh.

Tonight I had a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner. I had never made one -- really. I have not had one at home since my ex-husband lived here; he used to make them on the George Foreman grill, with American cheese. I used a pan and cheddar. It wasn't The Quintessential White Trash Comfort Food, but it was good. Although bad for me. And I could have eaten five of them... but I only had the one.

I am way over my calories for the day, and I'm still hungry.

At least now I can just go to bed!

No comments: